About me

My first real musical instrument was a harmonica, given to me by my folks before I was in school. Probably the first Harmonica player I can remember really knocking me out was Little Stevie Wonder. Next after that was Charlie Musselwhite, I think. After that, I had the blues fever and started seeking out the source material like Sonny Boy Williamson, Junior Wells, Little Walter and all the rest.
My parents, both musicians, exposed me to many different musical styles throughout childhood, from Gospel to Country (what would now be referred to as Americana), Blues, Jazz, and of course 'popular music' of the era. There was always music at home, at church, and any time family was around. My family revered music and musicians. My Paternal Grandfather played fiddle; old music from the Arkansas hills of his youth. All of his children loved to sing, and my father played Jazz guitar. Mom's family were singers, too, and mom played Piano and Organ in church. I learned a lot about music in general (and about harmony in particular) by osmosis from my family at a very young age. Have you ever heard the sweet sounds of family members in harmony? At family gatherings, singing was as much a part of the conversation as talking. I believe my love of singing comes from that.
My harmonica 'education' has included included one-on-ones Eddie Gordon (Johnny Puelo's Harmonica Gang), Bill Barrett, Rod Piazza, and harmonicist & educator Roger Gonzales.
Harmonica is the only musical instrument you literally breathe through. Just as with singing, when you play harmonica, the instrument you're playing is really your whole body. That gives the harmonica a uniquely expressive character, like the human voice. Although I perform mostly with Diatonic and Chromatic harmonicas, my collection also includes Tremolo, Octave, Bass and even Chord models. What I love most about playing harmonica is when I have the opportunity to improvise. The most important components of a performance are imagination, passion, and connection with the audience. I'd rather play one note that touches your heart than a hundred that deafen your ear.