Zen of Harmonica

A harmonica student wanted very badly to be a very good harmonica player. In fact, he wanted it so badly that one night he dreamt he met Sonny Boy Williamson II, Little Walter, Sonny Terry and Big Walter Horton

He spoke first to Sonny Terry, "If I work hard to learn harmonica, how long before I can play as well as you?" He asked. "Ten years, at least", said Sonny Terry.

"But if I work twice as hard", he said, turning to Big Walter, "How long, then?" "Twenty years, minimum", said Walter

Desperately, he turned to Sonny Boy "But if I work ten times harder, how soon can I be as good as you?" Sonny Boy stroked his chin and said "30 years, for sure", and all of the four nodded in agreement.

Panicked, he said to Little Walter "I don't understand - every time I say I'll work harder, one of you says I'll be further from being a great player. How can that be?"

Little Walter leaned in and said "it's like this: If you always have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path."